The evolution of influencer marketing from a novelty to a strategic powerhouse has revolutionized the way brands engage with consumers.
Over the past decade, we have seen social media grow rapidly. Brands engage with social media influencers because they align with those that are authentic to their brand, and encourage trial and purchase.
A social media influencer is an individual who has established credibility, authority, and a substantial following in a specific niche or industry. Influencers have the power to affect the opinions, behaviours, and purchasing decisions of their followers due to their expertise, authenticity, and engaging contents. They can be found across various social media platforms, blogs, YouTube channels, podcasts, and other online channels.
With a steady increase in social media usage over the last decade, brands are now financing more of their marketing funds on nano, micro, and macro-influencers. There are tiered layers when it comes to influencer marketing including:
1. Mega Influencers: <1M Followers
- Includes famous actors, musicians, athletes, and other public figures.
- Ideal for large-scale brand awareness campaigns.
2. Macro Influencers: 100K – 1M Followers
- Influencers with established personalities within their niches.
- More professional looking and provides reach and have strong engagement
3. Micro Influencers: 10K – 100K Followers
- Rising stars of influencer marketing
- Engagement rates tend to be higher due to their more personal interactions with their followers.
- Higher opportunities for effective communication and engagement.
4. Nano Influencers: >10K Followers
- Strong connection with specific target audiences.
- Authentic, niche and personalised content.
Diving Into Influencer Marketing
Digital platforms are of high importance when it comes to PR efforts and pitching in 2023. Whilst brands should not underestimate the value of ‘old school’ print, digital platforms have far greater reach and are without a doubt the way in which many Australians are now consuming their media in 2023.
Influencer marketing has opened up endless opportunities for brands and in turn, has created pathways to wider audiences.
Here’s how to make use of influencer marketing and employ the right strategies:
1. To drive ongoing brand awareness and in addition to the more traditional media outlets, it is essential that we engage influential and verified Australian digital creators to inspire and educate consumers about your brand. Brands and audiences are placing more emphasis on authenticity and genuine engagement rather than just follower counts. Influencers with real, meaningful connections to their followers are highly valued.
2. Treat influencers as an extension of your brand from day one, rather than a marketing channel, to drive impactful, authentic and positive experiences for consumers.
3. Foster real relationships and ultimately champion influencers to market with your brand on an on-going basis by co-creating tailored on-brand content that goes beyond the flat lay e.g., step-by-step educational tutorials that showcase the amazing results that can be achieved.
4. Work with influencers to create credible branded content that showcases a realistic view of their lives behind the filter.
5. There have been major developments made, with new social media platforms skyrocketing. Therefore, influencers have expanded their content formats beyond just photos and videos to include live streams, stories, podcasts, blogs, and more. Diverse content formats allow for more creative storytelling.
6. Invite their audiences on a journey through new collaborative formats and audience participation e.g. giveaways and competitions.
7. Set clear objectives for each collaboration and measure KPIs to enhance overall campaign performance for current and future campaigns. This stimulates optimised future results, tailored strategies, higher ROI, and effective influencer partnerships.
8. It’s important to take the time to research and understand your influencer. Review the digital hygiene of your influencer, as well as their metrics and measurements to ensure strong ROI.
9. Define objectives and create a brief to set clear goals and outline key messages.
10. Brands are moving away from one-off influencer collaborations and towards long-term partnerships. This approach allows influencers to authentically integrate products or services into their content over time.
Embracing the power and evolution of influencer marketing can intensify a brand’s reputation, improve audience engagement, and increase conversions. Harness this new tool and watch your business grow expediently.